Pages

Background Information about Me

So, perhaps you’ve wondered, “what is it inside me?” –looks in shirt– well, I for one, found the answer in my time. My name is André Wesele Crabbe, but often I was called Andreas Vesalius. I was brought into this world in Brussels, Habsburg Netherland on the 31st of December in the year of 1514. I was born to Isabella Crabbe and Andries van Wesele and along with me were my four siblings. My family was one of Physicians, so naturally I was thought to inherit some of my talents from my forefathers.
                Growing up, Father enrolled me in with the Brethren of Common Life. The purpose of this was so I could become educated in the languages I would need to properly educate myself in fields of my interests. Upon the year 1528, I took my studies further into artistry as I took my place in the University of Louvain. Chances came to surface and I decided to take on the art of medicine instead. This brought me to the University of Paris where I took much interest in dissections and anatomy. Studying Galen under my teachers, Sylvius and Jean, my knowledge had flown up levels than they had before. Unfortunately, France and the Holy Roman Empire found a reason to war, bringing me back to the Louvain in order to escape the violence. In my time there, I studied under Guinter of Andernach. Soon enough though, I had developed the need to leave when we began sharing discussions of rage and differences. From there, with my bachelor’s degree, I began studying in the University of Padua. By December 6th, at the age of 23, I had received my doctorate in medicine and had began teaching a more interactive kind of class compared to that of the boring professors. I taught as the explicator chirurgiae until I was offered a more promising position. How did they expect new curious minds to prosper if they continuously hold them down?
University of Padua

Over the time of my life, I took the liberties of drawing up a few books… By 1541, I had already succeeded to disprove the works of Galen himself. Yes, I, Andreas Vesalius, proved Galen’s work to be blasphemous. Through the 1540s, I spent my time in research and work, publishing some of the most influential books in anatomy and medicine. Though I had taken the job as Physician to the Holy Roman Emperor, my interests in Anatomy and the systematic workings of the human body did not cease to exist. In fact, I had written my books on the Human body the same year before taking the new job. Upon taking the job as a Physician, I found joy with the experimentation of more radical ideas of healing the sick.
Yet days are still to come as I continue my research upon the mysteries of mankind, surely there will be a time of peace where I am not being watched by the mongrels of the church. Perhaps they suspect some illegal activity looked down upon by society? Hopefully not… Not only are they persistent, but they have been constantly reminding me of how my life has worked out. Maybe it’s time I changed a bit more of my life in terms of adventure rather than of research and healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sources

http://journal.plastination.org/archive/jp_vol.13.2/jp_vol.13.2_08-12.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Vesalius#De_Corporis_Fabrica
http://www.clinicalanatomy.com/vesalius2.htm
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-18-2004-51844.asp
http://winterface.org/?p=304
http://www.nndb.com/people/270/000085015/
http://www.stanford.edu/class/history13/Readings/vesalius.htm